Monday, April 3, 2023

THE POSSESSION ARROW -- PART #2

 

AIR BAG

Adam

 

Struggling to focus,

Through an eerie orange tinge

Cast over my world.

 

Fighting hard,

To clear my brain.

What do I know?

I am lying down.

 

The last thing I remember?

A girl's whisper.

A single word,

Superman.

 

What do I feel?

Something covering me,

something light,

perhaps a sheet.

 

Can I move?

My head turns to the side.

The veil of orange vanishes

with a minute tickle.

 

 

And then I see it--

the burning car

and I remember.

 

I roll from under my cover,

sit on the pavement

and then look back.

 

Back at my broken body,

back at Ali face down on top.

her red-orange hair

shrouding the face

of her human

air bag,

me.

 

May I R.I.P.


KARMA

Jake

 

Karma,           

mine gone amuck.

It grabbed Adam tonight.

Took shape as a gasoline/drunk driver duo.

 

I alone know why

it blocked his trip home--

why I can never replace him on varsity.

 

The twisted sisters of fate

merely were

granting my wish.

A wish made while Adam

was still alive.



LOST

Adam

 

Nowhere to go

it can’t be home--

I picture Mom getting the news.

 

The knock at the door.

Her calling out,

“Adam, forget your key again?”

A quick look through the peep hole.

Confusion.

Two policemen standing

where I should be,

red lights flashing behind them.

 

I imagine their words.

Four words that will destroy Mom.

They’ll be laced together,

bound in some logical order with meaningless crap

that evaporates

leaving a memory of four:

 

Drunk

Explosion

Adam

Died





AT THE E.R.

 

Ali

 

Arrived at the E.R.

unconscious,

my head in a fog.

or so Dad told me

later.

 

Why then do I remember?

Adam’s arms wrapped around me,

pulling me free,

the scent of his cologne,

his warm breath on my neck.

 

Dad holds my hand.

Can’t be good--

he hasn’t done that

since

kindergarten.

 

He gives

a sweet little Daddy smile.

Says, “You’re going to be fine.”

and I believe him,

for a second.

 

Then I ask him about Adam.

The smile fades.

He squeezes my hand

and says nothing,

yet tells

everything.

 

Copyright  ©  2023 by James Danielson 

  All rights reserved.

No comments: