Thursday, April 20, 2023

THE POSSESSION ARROW -- Part #5

 

INVESTIGATING

Ali

 

Talked to Dad first.

Asked what he knew

about the truck driver.

 

He assured me

insurance and police were

handling things.

In fact

the driver's insurance already offered

an extremely

generous

settlement.

 

So I explain

my thoughts about

the driver

who had no name.

 

He sees no problem

but

would mention it

to our insurance agent

in the morning.

 

The whole thing seems

very fishy.

I search through the internet

again.

 


 

Also post on social media.

Ask if anyone's

heard the driver's name.

Lots of responses.

No answers but

all agreed

something's not right.

 


 

INVISIBILITY

Adam

  

Crazy plan

Mr. Charonski 

sent me out

on my own.

 

Instructions.

Make a connection telepathically

visibility will then be

automatic.

 

So I say,

"How do I practice?"

His answer,

"On dogs."

 

First canine victim

Mrs. Gillhouly's miniature collie, Lady.

Next door neighbor

for years.

 

Out for their Ten A.M. walk

Zap -- connected

Lady starts wagging her tail.

Pulls so hard on the leash

she breaks free

runs right at me.

 

Starts jumping

licking

confused when she can’t feel me

tries rolling over

for a belly rub.

 

Mrs. Gillhoully

freaks

obviously

she can't see me

and

Lady can.


 

Vicim number two

crazy Doberman

on the walking route

to school.

 

Here would be

My lesson plan's

second half.

Breaking the connection.

 

The challenge

Charonski says:

Control.

Down to the second.

 

I float

into the yard.

Dobie lays gnawing

on a huge rawhide bone.

 

Connection made

from across the yard.

 

He lunges up

charges at me.

Barking.

Snarling.

 

Connection broken

dive left.

 

Five feet away

still tracking my motion

teeth bared jumps

for my throat.

 

I feel the drag

as teeth, head, body

pass

through me.

 

Dobie lands hard

rolls

a few feet past me.

Then gets up for more.

 

Sniffs the air

searching my sent

coming up

empty.

 

Reconnect

 

He spins

growls

sees the rawhide bone

in my hand.

 

I toss the bone.

It lands

at his feet.

 

He chews for a moment

then

refocuses on me.

Bares his teeth

lurches toward me.

 

Any thoughts

the bone

would help befriend him--

gone.

 

Disconnect.

 

Dobie hits the brakes.

Confused.

Then runs back and forth

searching.

 

Decide

he's put up with enough

and float away

invisibly

feeling confident

I’d aced the lesson.

 

 

 

 


 

 

REMEMBORING TRYOUTS

 

Jake

 

Sitting alone

On my bed

Remembering

Tryout day

Two months back.

 

Varsity team

My sophomore year

That’s all I wanted

Instead

Shamed

Shipped down to J.V.

Now coach wants me back

But

Why go back

If I’m not teammates

With Adam?

 

 


 

 

CONGRATS AND MORE MENTORING

 

Adam and Mr. Charonski

 

 

Mr. Charonski,

sitting in the boiler room

feet up on the desk.

 

                                                "How'd

                                                invisibility go?"

 

"Good, but

the dogs of the world

may not agree."

 

                                                "Truth,

                                                I followed you

                                                and watched."

 

"Can't be

I didn't see you."

 

                                                "Well I watched

                                                and I'd give you

                                                an A+"

 

"What

comes next?"

 

                                                "Watch."

 

Mr. Charonski

floating

through the wall.

 

                                                "Now try to look through.

                                                See me

                                                and everything

                                                this side of the wall."

 

I struggle

but bit by bit

everything came

in focus."

                                                "Then simply

                                                come join us."

 

I float

just off the ground,

stay focused on the other side

and pass effortlessly through.

 

                                                "Now go practice

                                                but behave.

                                                Stay away from

                                                the girls locker room."

 

He winked

and disappeared.


 

No comments: