Thursday, April 13, 2023

THE POSSESSION ARROW -- Part #4

Hope you enjoy this Thursday installment! 


AFTERTHOUGHTS

 

Jake

 

 

Hung up from Ali

tried to process--

why did I call?

And why is she so insistent

on this conspiracy theory?

 

Weird

but as I think back

to those seemingly sleepless hours

a voice in my head

repeats

"Call Ali.

You two need to talk."

 

The voice distinct

easy to recognize

Adam's.

 

So

I slept after all.

Had to

Or

I couldn't have dreamt

Hearing his voice.

 

Could it be though

the voice was real?

 

No.

Craziness.

lack of sleep.

 

Two deep breaths

and laid down.

Adam's voice rang through my head

again

before I could possibly be sleeping.

 

"Thank you for calling Ali.

She's right you know."


 

MR. CHARONSKI

 

Adam

 

 

Rational thinking?

Not even close.

Clanking pipes sound nothing like

the alarm on my phone.

 

Still I reach over

to silence it

and get a hand full

of damp mop strings.

 

Reality starts to return.

I’m at school,

sleeping in the boiler room

alleged to be haunted,

even without me.

 

More clanking.

I force my eyes open,

scour the room

and then I see him,

Mr. Charonski,

tool belt around his waist,

wrench in one hand,

dust mop in the other.

 

The man.

A legend.

Worked here in the day

when Mom and Dad were students.

Dad said he always bet

on Charonski at basketball games

to win the half-time

dust mop races.

 


 

He looks at me

shakes his head.

 

“Hey newbie

You’ve got

Death trauma.”

 

Dumbfounded,

“Death trauma?”

 

He laughs

loud, hard

                                                                        “Yep,

                                                                        Ghosts don’t sleep

                                                                        once they admit to themselves

                                                                        they’re dead.”

 

“Really?”

And then I realize

confess

knowing nothing about

being a ghost.


 

GHOSTING FOR DUMMIES

 

Adam

 

 

Basic ghost skills

telepathy, invisibility

passing through

not as easy as they look.

 

We practiced telepathy.

That

we can do with

each other.

 

Charonski explains,

picturing a wire between

my head and his.

 

Then select which thoughts use the wire.

And which thoughts don't.

No messages went through

for a good ten minutes.

 

Then I started feeling

a little tingle

with every message I sent

 

The tingle grew

as did the smile

on

my mentor's face.

 

Next came a twitch

on the other side of my brain

saying

I hear you,

Can you hear me?

 

My reply

Yes!

 


 

 


No comments: