Saturday, January 24, 2009

Darcy Pattison Retreat Prep #1

I will be attending a revision retreat in very late February hosted by SCBWI-Illinois, taught by Darcy Pattison. I thought it might be nice to step everyone through the experience, which has already begun. I'll warn you up front -- I will not be sharing detailed notes from the retreat.

Let's start with a to do list:

  1. Complete a middle grade or YA manuscript and share it with the three other writers in my retreat critique group. (completed)
  2. Read the three manuscripts of the other critique group members. (shortest of the three read, started on the second)
  3. Read The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman and Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. (both purchased)
  4. Read your own MS so it is fresh in your mind. (complete)
  5. Mail first chapter/query letter/synopsis of your MS to Darcy Pattison. (complete)
  6. Fill out short critique forms on the critique group manuscripts. (Okay, I should have done the first one before starting the second book.....)

The retreat is set up for a max of twenty attendees -- as of January 12th there were still three openings. I'm looking forward to the retreat. Now, I have a lot of reading to do!

Oh, one last thing. Since I have so much reading to do, here's a little quiz I found at Writer Musings with my results:

What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Literate Good Citizen

You read to inform or entertain yourself, but you're not nerdy about it. You've read most major classics (in school) and you have a favorite genre or two.

Dedicated Reader
Fad Reader
Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm
Book Snob
Non-Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an intense process/experience. I would love to hear how the retreat goes -- in a nutshell, of course!

Jim Danielson said...

I plan continued updates before and after. I just won't include any of Darcy Pattison's teaching materials or make public comments about critiqued material. My goal is to report the intensity and value so that others can decide if they would benefit in the future.

I have to say I was questioning myself for signing up a couple weeks ago as my pre-retreat MS revisions were not coming together at all. In the end, they did. (Still needs work, but at a good spot to go forward from)

PJ Hoover said...

That's quite a bit of homework you have. But the format sounds wonderful. I bet you will get so much out of it!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Best of luck in the retreat! Love your preparations.