Friday, October 24, 2008

LoNoRevMo

While the rest of the writing world gears up for NaNoWriMo, I am on a personal quest I will call LoNoRevMo (LOcal NOvel REVision MOnth).

I have been treading water with my current revision so long I don't even want to admit it. Every time I think I've found the way to fix it, roadblocks pop up. A member of my face-to-face crit group told me months ago to switch my MS to first person. She liked my main character's voice (in a blog writen by the main character), so why not just write it first person. Sure, there's an issue to be dealt with, but basically I was too lazy to admit she was right. (JK we're about to see!)

I have a plan!

Phase #1: Use find replace to do as many mechanics changes as possible. These are not why we change to 1st person from 3rd, but seem necessary. (for example, "said Cammy" becomes "I said") Every "Cammy" will not become "I", but they can be gone through and change or find next can be clicked.

Phase #2: Proof the MS from changes in Phase #1 and make remaining mechanics changes.

Phase #3: (and this IS why we change to 1st person) Inject Cammy's voice and POV into the MS.

The schedule is:

Phases #1 and #2: Done by end of next weekend (Nov 2)

Phase #3: First revision done by end of November, which is LoNoRevMo.

I'll keep you posted!

LoNoRevMo started tonight.

Jim

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Sounds like an awesome plan! I LOVE first person!

Anonymous said...

Ambitious, Jim! But I'm sure you can make it happen.

I've been torn between spending November revising what I've got or working on something new. I'm leaning toward revision right now. Maybe I'll have my own personal NoWriMo in December or January instead.

christine M said...

Sounds like a great plan Jim. Good luck with it. And Cammy's story is a great one. One day you'll hit the magic combination.

Jim Danielson said...

PJ, Lisa and Chris: Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Yay for LoNoRevMo! I hope this POV change gives you a creative energy breakthrough. (And I won't say I told you so :-)

Jim Danielson said...

Jenn,
Thanks for stopping by and to avoid any chance of future temptation, I'll say it for you.

"Jenn (aka JK) told me so."

Jim